Virginia Commonwealth University
In the late 1980s, nursing alumni, faculty, and students began planning for the one hundredth anniversary observance of the founding of the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing. The school traces its rich heritage back to the organization of the Virginia Hospital Training School for Nurses which opened in 1893. Betsy A. Bampton (MCV Class of 1960) undertook the writing of a school history published as the centennial celebration was set to begin. In this abundantly illustrated work, Bampton and her collaborators chronicle the development and growth of the eight diverse schools and programs that formed the foundation of the VCU School of Nursing. The stories unveiled in A Proud Heritage are integral to a full understanding of the VCU School of Nursing today.
The original publication was distributed widely both within the VCU community and beyond, but few copies remain to circulate among new students and friends of the school. The VCU Libraries, working in cooperation with the School of Nursing, is pleased to make available an electronic version of this useful book. A Proud Heritage is just one of several electronic resources available for those interested in the study of the history of nursing in Virginia.
During the first quarter of the twentieth century when southern law and social practice demanded separate facilities for the races, the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) established a separate school of nursing for African American women to provide trained personnel for the St. Philip Hospital. The Saint Philip School of Nursing opened with the hospital in the fall of 1920. It expanded in 1936 with the addition of a public health nursing course supported by funds from the Social Security Act and administered in conjunction with the United States Public Health Service.
The School graduated 791 nurses during its 42-year history. From the beginning the St. Philip School of Nursing was registered by the Virginia State Board of Nurse Examiners and subsequently by the Regents of the University of New York in 1936 and National League of Nursing Education in 1942. St. Philip graduated its largest classes during World War II as the school did its part in preparing nurses for the armed services. In 1960 the MCV Board of Visitors made the decision to close the school following the graduation of the Class of 1962. By that point, the MCV School of Nursing was granting admission to students of all races and the cost of maintaining two separate schools had become prohibitive.
The story of the school is told in A Historical Bulletin of the Saint Philip School of Nursing and Alumnae Association. It includes a general history, information on the curriculum, listing of the faculty, rosters of graduates, class photographs, and other information related to the school.
A History of the Richmond Professional Institute : From Its Beginning in 1917 to Its Consolidation with the Medical College of Virginia in 1968 to Form Virginia Commonwealth University
Henry Horace Hibbs
A History of the Richmond Professional Institute: From Its Beginning in 1917 to Its Consolidation With the Medical College of Virginia in 1968 to Form Virginia Commonwealth University was written by Dr. Henry H. Hibbs, Jr. (1887-1977), long-time leader of Richmond Professional Institute (RPI).
After he retired, Dr. Hibbs was paid a consultant's fee to write this book on the history of RPI. He designated VCU as the sole recipient of profits from the sale of the book. The alumni associations of VCU and the Richmond Professional Institute Foundation were involved in editing the book before it was published in 1973. It was sold by VCU in a limited publication run. Many of the copies were signed by the author.
Report of the Commission to Plan for the Establishment of a Proposed State-supported University in the Richmond Metropolitan Area [Edward A. Wayne, Chairman]
Virginia. Commission to Plan for the Establishment of a Proposed State-supported University in the Richmond Metropolitan Area.
After the 1965 Bird Commission recommended the creation of a state university in Richmond, the state legislature named a commission to develop an implementation plan headed by Edward A. Wayne Sr., president of the Richmond Federal Reserve Bank.
Their recommendation, supported by the Governor and General Assembly, was the creation of Virginia Commonwealth University. Wayne was named vice-rector of the first Board of Visitors of VCU, and the University's Wayne Medal honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions or provided exemplary service to VCU.
This is the full text of the 1967 report, entitled "Report of the Commission to plan for the establishment of a proposed state-supported university in the Richmond Metropolitan Area."
The Medical College of Virginia (MCV) marked the 125th anniversary of its founding with a year-long celebration in 1963, culminating in the publication of The First 125 Years. Issued as hard- and soft-back publications in the college's bulletin series, the 96-page photo history received many favorable reviews. The book is largely the work of Thelma Vaine Hoke, although she received no formal attribution on the cover or title page of the work. Hoke began her career at MCV in 1932 as secretary for college president William T. Sanger. Over the years she served as the college information bureau, publications director, records manager, and an instructor in the School of Hospital Administration. She earned the sobriquet "majordomo, boss-ma'am, and factotum-at-large for the Medical College of Virginia" from the Richmond News Leader at the time of her retirement in 1966.
Hoke pulled photographs, letters, documents, reports, and publications for the book from a rich collection of historical materials gathered and preserved by James Ralph McCauley, who served as secretary-treasurer for the college and secretary for the Board of Visitors from 1902 until his death in 1950. McCauley had researched many aspects of the college's history and left detailed notes that Hoke found invaluable while compiling The First 125 Years. MCV President Robert Blackwell Smith's address to the Newcomen Society of North America on September 26, 1963 served as the books main historical narrative. Around this story Hoke placed photo captions, sidebars, contemporary documents, and short articles to present the college's first full-length history. Col. John H. Heil, Jr., Secretary of the MCV Board of Visitors noted: "This permanent record of the history of the institution is one which will be a frequent source for material and a constant reminder of the importance of MCV in the state and community."